A 4 evening information session in English for expectant mothers (over 30 weeks pregnant) and their partners to prepare for the birth of their baby. This prenatal course in English enables expectant international couples to feel comfortable about having a baby in the Netherlands. The Childbirth Preparation class is intended for couples more than 28 weeks pregnant. Four evenings (20.00-22.00) and one postnatal reunion when the babies are born. This course is especially relevant if you want your partner to know the basics about childbirth and understand how you can best be helped, or as a refresher course if this is your second or third baby.
Subjects to be covered during this class
- Avoidable hazards in pregnancy
- Stages in labour
- Dilation, what happens in your body
- Pushing and birth of the placenta
- When to call the midwife or hospital
- Attitude towards contractions and pain
- Different ways to cope with labour and how partner can support
- Obstetric interventions explained (vacuum, Caesarean section. Induction why,when, how)
- Pain relief options and implications
- Birth plan.
- Giving birth in the Netherlands; the Dutch Maternity Services.
- Helping you to make informed choices and handle concerns.
- Breathing and massage techniques.
- Exercises such as pushing in different positions
- Positions for labour and how partners can help.
Subjects which are not covered during this class
These subjects are only covered during the full class.
- Breastfeeding information
- First week with baby, bonding – post-natal care
- Life with a new baby